Back in September of 2015, 58-year-old Deanna Salas-Solano went through a Starbucks drive-thru and ordered a cup of tea. She claims that when she was handed her tea, the lid was not secured and the cup was not inside a paper cup sleeve. She says that the heat from the cup was so intense that she dropped it in her lap, causing second-degree burns. Solano also claims that this caused her dog to jump into her lap and get burned as well. Unfortunately, her dog died because of the burns and Solano had to undergo surgery the following day after suffering second-degree burns to approximately two percent of her body.
Starbucks is claiming that the cup did indeed have a sleeve on it, and that Solano's dog was already in her lap when she got to the drive-thru window. And video evidence appears to support their claim.
Solano's lawsuit seeks claims that exceed $100,000.
Source: Fox 6 Now